All rules are subject to alteration/change at the discretion of the mods. In the event we do feel a change is in order, we will make a post to the community alerting all members of that fact. It is your responsibility, however, to know what the rules are and to follow them. There are a fair few, yes, but they're mostly common sense stuff.
1. We ask that all players be at least 18 years of age or older due to the potentially darker themes that may arise in this game. If we find out you lied about your age (and we will find out, it's our job!), you will be banned immediately. No exceptions.
2. In order to keep the game active, we ask that all players pass our activity check each month. If you continually just scrape through though we will probably talk to you about it
3. Regarding character limits: there is currently a character cap of 15 characters per player. However, the mods do hold a right to determine as to whether or not a player can apply up to that limit. This will be based on the activity of the other characters that the player looking to bring more in already have in game.
4. Gods, deities, and god-like beings are accepted but will be heavily mod watched in terms of abilities and we reserve the right to refuse a power use to maintain the balance of the game. As well as this, all major villain applications must be accompanied with a note as to the intended purpose and time frame for the character, be it a few weeks to a few months. Villains as PC’s will be monitored closely and if they do anything to push themselves into the villain status they will be subject to the same rules as major villains and work on a time frame before they have to leave. The worst thing is to have our good guy team unable to act against a villain as it is someones character though they are acting in such a manner as to deserve to be stopped.
5. We only allow each player to have 3 CHARACTERS PER FANDOM so long as the three characters can be proven to be separate enough to be played by one player. For example, the same player could apply for Jo Harvelle, Ruby, and Missouri if it was proven they would have little reason to interact in game. A player could not apply for Dean Winchester, Mary Winchester, and Jo Harvelle as we feel it would be taking interactions away from other players and lead to cliquish behavior.
6. We reserve the right as mods to place blocks on the apping of certain fandoms for indeterminate amounts of time if we feel it is becoming too unbalancing to the game.
7. Only characters in movies, shows and books that have been out for one month or longer will be eligible for play or hold.
8. We do not allow Original Characters. Canon characters with little known about them are allowed provided the mods are satisfied you are working with what canon HAS given you.
9. We only allow a character to be placed on hold for ONE WEEK. After the week is up the character will go back up for grabs. Players may make up to two holds at once. However, if for some reason you find yourself truly unable to put together an application during that one week, if you contact us we will try to work with you. You MUST hold a character before apping
10. Anyone who drops a character must wait ONE MONTH before re-applying for that same character. In addition, should any drop be made by a player, that player must wait ONE WEEK in order to hold and/or apply for another character provided that character isn't the one they've just dropped. The exception to this rule is mod approved character deaths.
If you've dropped or Activity'd out of the game more than once, we won't accept you back.
11. No incest. There is only one exception to this rule. If the characters are involved in an incestuous, romantic relationship in canon (and no, no Sam and Dean are not!), then yes. It is allowed. However, it must be supported by canon fact, not conjecture. (Think Jaime and Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones for a prime example.) Otherwise, this is a big no-no and could result in expulsion from the game.
12. We do allow slash. But we accept it only if you play it out with respect, if you take appropriate time for something to develop. If its a canon line its obviously okay to continue as it is. If the character was presented as nothing but straight in canon please be realistic. If somethings going to develop it can't do it from nothing, we want some kind of reasoning in the writing for how that develops and it won't happen over mere weeks. Please play it with respect for LGBT communities and not just cause the PB's are hot. Please don't do this with all your characters. Just because characters are close in canon does not make them automaticly in love. Don't forget, Close bromances/sismances are often in and of themselves amazing lines which many people wish to play out without slash. We have been asked by players to include this rule.
13. Stay true to the nature of your character. Do not make them so out of their nature that they become someone else entirely. While this is a multi-verse RPG and you are open to crossover romances/friends/etc., try not do anything that would contradict who your character is and their morals. If we think you are, we'll let you know. If it continues to happen, you run the risk of being asked to give up that character.
14. We do not allow character histories from other games to be played out on this one. Characters must be brought from a point in their cannons as written. There are no exceptions to this rule.
15. To show you have read these rules please include the word awesome at the bottom of your application.
16. If you wish to temporarily age or de-age your character for a small, limited-time plot, that's fine. However, anything lasting longer than a few days must be cleared by mods. Any change that is permanent, or semi-permanent (lasting more than one month), including moving the character's place in canon (a change in seasons, books, comic book arcs, etc), will require dropping or a hard canon update which takes two weeks. Otherwise a soft update will only give you the memories but the character won't have lived it.
17. Absolutely no god-modding.
18. No drama. OOC /=/ IC. However, if you do have any concerns at all please bring them directly to the mods. We’re here to make this place fun for you!
19. Please avoid one or two lined posts when replying to logs and narratives. We also ask that you use a cut-tag with every log or narrative, in order to keep the friends list somewhat orderly. If you do not know how to make a cut-tag, simply ask and we'll do our best to explain.
20. If we feel that your writing has declined significantly since your application, we will speak with you about it and offer a warning and advice on how to improve. If it continues to happen, and we don’t feel you are trying, you will most likely be removed from the game. We don't expect anyone to be perfect, but we do expect them to take pride in their writing and at least make sure each reply is legible.
21. Each character you play must have their own InsaneJournal account. While we do not require journals only be played at our game, we do ask you use a friends filter if you play them elsewhere to avoid confusion.
22. Pregnancies/miscarriages/abortions/all that stuff. Yes, it does happen. It can happen. However, we do ask that you keep it realistic. If your characters are having unprotected sex they run a significantly higher risk of pregnancy than those who are practicing safe sex. Please be sensitive that other players may have triggers and put anything considered to be of a sensitive nature beneath a cut with warnings. If we feel this is becoming habit rather than planned exception we will call you on it.
23. If they do become pregnant, they cannot carry to full term and deliver in a week. In fact, we ask that you run the course with their pregnancy, no more than the acceptable amount of time before due date. If we feel you are using miscarriages or abortions as a form of birth control, you will be warned once to stop. After that, it is a bannable offense.
24. No Cliques, whether it be fandom or player based we will not tolerate cliques forming in our game. While yes, there are certain characters that will interact more among their own fandom, it will be watched, and players seeming to app with other players and charries in mind exclusively will be warned. We would like interaction among our entire player base.
25. We expect a minimum of 250 words/ two paragraphs post length in logs, see example: here. We, of course, encourage people to write more than this, but anything less and we will pull you up on it.
26. If you fall behind in activity we will ask you why. If it doesn't improve we will reserve our right to remove (with prior warning) any characters that we feel are being character hogged so that someone else might have a chance to app them.
27. We will hold activity checks every month. Just to clarify our activity rules as we have been asked to do so by a few of you.
The rules are these: We ask for one net post and one other piece of activity a month.
The second piece can be anything of reasonable size. It can be a narrative, it can be filtered or unfiltered comments, it can be a log, or a second net post.
What we do say though is if we have warned you about interaction, please take that into consideration with your activity. If you have a larger cast, a few narratives won't take away from the overall so long as the majority of what you do is interactive. If you play one or two characters and we get narratives and filtered comments to the same people month after month for the activity checks you will fail on interaction. Its a balance thing. Ultimately we need to see you want to be here and aren't here for the sake of one or two lines.
If every month you're scraping for activity with all your characters then it might be time to consider if you can cope with that high a number.
The game struggles when people don't interact. It has before, it will again. This check was harsh because it had to be. It's not asking for a lot. It's asking for you all to play a panfandom you signed up to play in the way panfandoms were intended.
28. A spoiler here at War is considered as new information that comes from any form of canon within a one month period. Out of respect to our players, we insist that any new canon information obtained within that spoiler month be kept within a post that contains both a journal cut and a spoiler warning to keep those who do not want to be spoiled from doing so. Players are allowed to have their characters react to any new spoilers within the spoiler month, but they must do so cautiously, again, out of respect to all players in game.
VILLAIN CHARACTER RULES
1.At this time, we are only allowing one outright villain character per player at a time.
2. If a character is apped as a bad guy, then any associated villain plots must be seen through. The villain must also be defeated before another villain can be applied in his or her place. This is to allow people to focus on the characters they have in game and to also focus on interacting the villain as much as they can with as many players/characters as they can before the villain is defeated.
3. Any big actions by the villain character have to be cleared by the mods. And by other players if it involves them and/or their characters directly.
4. The villains that build contacts and scheme need to be realistic. It takes time for any character to get anything close to the life they had in their home canon and the possible changes in the world and in the culture have to be thought about (feel free to bounce stuff off the mods). Eg: Lex Luthor could not show up and have his network of info, or LexCorp up and running within a week. He’d have to play it out, deal with people going "aren’t you that Superman dude", and he’d have to prove himself and build up from nothing. Of course, once he did, hell yes you know he’s gonna mess people up!
5. We work on the basis that as soon as a bad guy does something worthy of death he’s on a timer. It should be no more than a month before the good guys get to them.